D Magazine is working with the Friends of the Dallas Public Library (Hi, Kate!) to raise money to buy books for DISD ninth and tenth graders through The Big Read Dallas program. Our goal is to harness the generosity of D friends and families to purchase 18,500 books for a reading program that will be conducted in 2013. Simon & Schuster is giving us a huge discount on Fahrenheit 451, but we have to place our order this fall. Please (please, please) consider a donation. If you give $25 or more, the Communities Foundation of Texas will match a portion of that today only from 7 a.m. to midnight. If you have friends, co-workers, entire companies, or social friends who might want to give books to our DISD kids, send this around. Every $5 buys a book. Five bucks, folks. Let’s do this! Click here. IMPORTANT: in the notes section, write “The Big Read Dallas.”
- Are We Witnessing The Fall of the House of Michael Morris? by Peter Simek
- Announcing StreetSmart, D Magazine’s New Transportation and Urbanism Blog by Jason Heid
- John Travolta Welcomes Really Big Plane to DFW Airport by Jason Heid
- Ebola Case Confirmed in Dallas by Jason Heid
- Laray Polk on the State of Bookstores in Dallas by Tim Rogers
Sign up to our newsletters to get top news stories and breaking alerts delivered to your email inbox.
Advertisement will run for seconds. Continue to site »