You’d be surprised to learn how hard it can be for dining critics to find volunteers to join them on a review. So imagine my joy when, after inviting friends and family to join me at Kenny’s Italian Kitchen, I was flooded with gushing replies. “Oh, please,” my sister-in-law said. “I’m dying to go there.” We sashayed up to the hostess stand on a stormy Monday night around 6:30 and were placed on a 30-minute waitlist. The bar was three deep, and the dining room was jammed. Two hours later, I left confused. There is nothing special about the food at Kenny’s. It’s basically enormous portions of familiar red-sauce-Italian fare served in a Godfather-meets-Sopranos setting complete with stereotypical red-and-white checkered tablecloths anchored with straw-wrapped Chianti bottles.
12/20/14 SatNorthPark Center
- Poll: What Should Dallas Do With the Convention Center Hotel? by Jason Heid
- Photos: Ferguson Protest in Dallas by Bradford Pearson
- How I Did It: The Best New Restaurants in Dallas 2014 by Nancy Nichols
- Ask John Neely Bryan: Let Us Give Thanks For ‘Dallitude’ by John Neely Bryan
- What Has Irving Done to Anger God? by Jason Heid
Sign up to our newsletters to get top news stories and breaking alerts delivered to your email inbox.
Advertisement will run for seconds. Continue to site »