As I opened the menu at Deli-News, the self-proclaimed “New York-style restaurant,” I casually asked my Brooklyn-born-and-raised Jewish friend what qualifies a delicatessen as New York style. Two hours later, I stumbled out of what could have been a long, neurotic Woody Allen movie. “It’s a Russian-Jewish thing,” he snapped. “You see this bagel. You see how this bagel shines. Now that’s a bagel.” I ate the bagel. “Now, you see this pastrami,” he snipped. “This is real pastrami. It’s got the right amount of fat and it’s steamed. It’s not too thick. It’s not too thin.”
- Are We Witnessing The Fall of the House of Michael Morris? by Peter Simek
- Watch Strokers Live Webcam, Stuff That’s NSFW by Tim Rogers
- Dallas City Council Could Vote Against Funding Trinity Toll Road by Tim Rogers
- John Travolta Welcomes Really Big Plane to DFW Airport by Jason Heid
- 2 Trustees Voted to Cut Off More Than $100 Million to DISD and I Guess No One Cares by Eric Celeste
Sign up to our newsletters to get top news stories and breaking alerts delivered to your email inbox.
Advertisement will run for seconds. Continue to site »