I like Steven Doyle, but yesterday he ruined my world. Bongo’s Latin Grill is a funky dive on Northwest Highway across from Bachman Lake. The floor is covered with sand, there is a old boat in the middle of the space, and the friendly waitresses are dressed in red hot pants and skimpy shirts. The tacos are great, the margaritas are huge, and the spontaneous karaoke parties make you feel you are sitting in a seaside dive on the coast of Mexico. And I lived around the corner and they delivered food AND beer. Anywhoo, I wrote a review of the place for the February issue and sent a photographer to capture the essence of this spunky spot. But Doyle, also a fan, e-mailed me last night to tell me the place closed last Friday. I am crushed. My nieces are crying. I hate it when that happens.
- The Good Guys: A Look Back by Zac Crain
- Reader Feedback: What Ticks You Off Most at Restaurants? by Rochell Van Deurzen
- Morning News Says Mike Rawlings Should Run Again Because Mary Suhm by Eric Celeste
- Emmanuel Mudiay to Earn $1.2M in Chinese League by Bradford Pearson
- Leading Off (7/22/14) by Tim Rogers
Sign up to our newsletters to get top news stories and breaking alerts delivered to your email inbox.