Earlier this year Esquire magazine voted Samar by Stephan Pyles one of the best new restaurants in America. This week they finally got around to throwing a party! Several hundred of the restaurant’s closest friends sipped on rum cocktails made with Appleton Estate Reserve Rum, Chardonnay or Cabernet Sauvignon-Syrah table wine. There were passed hors d’oeuvres of some of the menu favorites such as peekytoe crab fritters, mussels escabeche and “blistered” green Spanish chilies with hickory smoked sea salt. From the counter the staff served baba gghanoush, hummus, naan bread and Idiazabel cheese and olives marinated with garlic and hoja Santa. I spoke with execuchef Jon Thompson who said there will be steady modifications to the menu over the next few months. Stephan Pyles was also much in evidence. He is pumped up about the future prospects for Samar.
- What Restaurant or Cuisine Does Dallas Need? by Nancy Nichols
- Henderson Tap House to Open in January With a Lengthy Dress Code by Nancy Nichols
- Bon Voyage, #chaneldallas by Cristina Daglas
- Leading Off (12/11/13) by Krista Nightengale
- Lakewood Brewing Co. Released its Bourbon Barrel Temptress During the Ice Storm by Matthew Shelley
Sign up to our newsletters to Get D insider information and updates in your inbox.