Earlier this year Esquire magazine voted Samar by Stephan Pyles one of the best new restaurants in America. This week they finally got around to throwing a party! Several hundred of the restaurant’s closest friends sipped on rum cocktails made with Appleton Estate Reserve Rum, Chardonnay or Cabernet Sauvignon-Syrah table wine. There were passed hors d’oeuvres of some of the menu favorites such as peekytoe crab fritters, mussels escabeche and “blistered” green Spanish chilies with hickory smoked sea salt. From the counter the staff served baba gghanoush, hummus, naan bread and Idiazabel cheese and olives marinated with garlic and hoja Santa. I spoke with execuchef Jon Thompson who said there will be steady modifications to the menu over the next few months. Stephan Pyles was also much in evidence. He is pumped up about the future prospects for Samar.
- Jim Schutze Was Right — Six Years Ago — About John Wiley Price by Tim Rogers
- Poll: What Does the Uptown Sam’s Club Say About City Government? by Jason Heid
- 8 Achievable Steps to Improve Urbanism by Peter Simek
- The Best Thing Written So Far About the John Wiley Price Indictment by Peter Simek
- Why the Cotton Bowl Still Has Value as a Sports Facility by Peter Simek
Sign up to our newsletters to get top news stories and breaking alerts delivered to your email inbox.