Earlier I posted the semi-finalists for the James Beard Awards. Several people have asked me about the qualifications for nominations. Here are the voting instructions I received:
Dear Texas and Oklahoma Beard judges
1. BEST CHEF SOUTHWEST. Chefs must have worked in the Southwest region (TX, NM, AZ, UT, CO, OK, NV) for a minimum of 3 years–and must have been a working chef for 5 years.
2. RISING STAR: Born on or after Jan. 1, 19879.
3. BEST NEW RESTAURANT. Opened in the calendar year 2009.
4. PASTRY CHEF: Five years working minimum.
5. RESTAURATEUR: Multiple locations; 10 years working minimum.
6. OUTSTANDING CHEF: Five years working minimum.
7. OUTSTANDING RESTAURANT: Open 10 years minimum.
8. WINE & SPIRITS PROFESSIONAL: Minimum of 5 years working in the industry.
9. WINE SERVICE: Restaurant open 5 years minimum.
10. OUTSTANDING SERVICE: Restaurant open 5 years minimum.