First, I love breakfast. Every Saturday and Sunday morning, I bide my time with a pot of coffee, the Times, and some HGTV, waiting for the partner in crime to wake up so we can go somewhere to eat. Our usual haunts are Allgood Cafe, Bolsa, Hattie’s (on Sundays), and the Mecca. Second, I love Casa Linda. Great area. Love the Spanish-style shopping center. But I hate that there aren’t more dining options. That’s why I was happy to see Florida-based mini-chain-in-the-making Another Broken Egg Cafe open. Breakfast and Casa Linda: Two great tastes that taste great together. The verdict for Another Egg? Dependable. Lets start with coffee, the benchmark by which all breakfast joints should be measured. Broken Egg brews Communtiy Coffee (the cafe started out in Louisiana) and they brew it nice and strong. Not so the Bloody Mary. It was a tad weak, lacking bite. Lots of celery salt and picked okra though. That’s a plus. For breakfast, we stuck with egg based dishes: the aforementioned biscuits and gravy with eggs and Crab Cakes Cavallo. The latter is a satisfying crab cakes benedict-style dish with a nice light hollandaise sauce with andouille sausage and scallion. Dry country potatoes were not as “great” as the menu touted. The biscuits and gravy came with choice of meat (patty not link, thank God), potatoes, and two eggs. The gravy was flavorful but thin and the biscuits a bit dense. An order of cheese grits with a dash of Broken Egg’s homemade pepper sauce perked up our hit-and-miss meal. (You can buy the pepper sauce as well as the coffee mugs, assorted t-shirts, and bud vases at the cafe. How very Hard Rock.) All in all, a serviceable breakfast joint with moments of greatness. I’ll return to try the blackberry grits and monster cinnamon roll (both considered “specialty items”) and support Casa Linda’s latest culinary endeavor. That, and I love breakfast.
- 50 Best Restaurants in Dallas by D Magazine
- Hot Property: Tri-Level Craftsman in Lower Greenville by Caitlin Clark
- High Fives' First Anniversary Party
- 'The Real Housewives of Dallas' Episode 10 Recap by Tim Rogers
- Brandi Redmond and Stephanie Hollman Dish on Their Favorite Dallas Restaurants by Catherine Downes
- Settle a Bet Between Me and Nancy by Tim Rogers
- A Dispatch From the D Magazine Sweat Lodge by Tim Rogers
- Is the New Rangers Ballpark a Terrible Deal For Arlington? by Zac Crain
- Theranos, the Battered Diagnostic Startup, Has a Dallas Tie: Real Estate Magnate Craig Hall by Chase Beakley
- Leading Off (6/24/16) by Staci Parks
Sign up to our newsletters to get top news stories and breaking alerts delivered to your email inbox.
Advertisement will run for seconds. Continue to site »