First, I love breakfast. Every Saturday and Sunday morning, I bide my time with a pot of coffee, the Times, and some HGTV, waiting for the partner in crime to wake up so we can go somewhere to eat. Our usual haunts are Allgood Cafe, Bolsa, Hattie’s (on Sundays), and the Mecca. Second, I love Casa Linda. Great area. Love the Spanish-style shopping center. But I hate that there aren’t more dining options. That’s why I was happy to see Florida-based mini-chain-in-the-making Another Broken Egg Cafe open. Breakfast and Casa Linda: Two great tastes that taste great together. The verdict for Another Egg? Dependable. Lets start with coffee, the benchmark by which all breakfast joints should be measured. Broken Egg brews Communtiy Coffee (the cafe started out in Louisiana) and they brew it nice and strong. Not so the Bloody Mary. It was a tad weak, lacking bite. Lots of celery salt and picked okra though. That’s a plus. For breakfast, we stuck with egg based dishes: the aforementioned biscuits and gravy with eggs and Crab Cakes Cavallo. The latter is a satisfying crab cakes benedict-style dish with a nice light hollandaise sauce with andouille sausage and scallion. Dry country potatoes were not as “great” as the menu touted. The biscuits and gravy came with choice of meat (patty not link, thank God), potatoes, and two eggs. The gravy was flavorful but thin and the biscuits a bit dense. An order of cheese grits with a dash of Broken Egg’s homemade pepper sauce perked up our hit-and-miss meal. (You can buy the pepper sauce as well as the coffee mugs, assorted t-shirts, and bud vases at the cafe. How very Hard Rock.) All in all, a serviceable breakfast joint with moments of greatness. I’ll return to try the blackberry grits and monster cinnamon roll (both considered “specialty items”) and support Casa Linda’s latest culinary endeavor. That, and I love breakfast.
5/7/16 SatOak Cliff Cultural Center
5/7/16 SatPanther Island Pavilion
5/7/16 SatVarious locations
5/12/16 ThuFixture Restaurant
5/13/16 FriAddison Circle Park
5/14/16 SatCommunity Beer Co.
5/15/16 SunWest 7th
5/15/16 SunBishop Arts District
5/21/16 SatGlobe Life Park in Arlington
5/29/16 SunThe West End
- Best Hotel Pools in Dallas
- Go Inside the Homes of Bravo's Real Housewives of Dallas by Caitlin Clark
- The Best Breakfasts in Dallas by D Magazine
- My Office: Alan White by Jeanne Prejean
- The Best Dallas Suburbs 2014
- Is Anyone Else a Little Creeped Out By the Idea of a Homeless Concentration Camp? by Peter Simek
- Drama Unfolds With Ousting of Dallas Summer Musicals President Michael Jenkins by Alex Macon
- The Real Housewives of Dallas Episode 4 Recap by Tim Rogers
- Will Ousting of Dallas Summer Musicals Honcho Impact Fair Park’s Future? by Peter Simek
- Dallas Design Events to Enjoy This May by Caitlin Clark
Sign up to our newsletters to get top news stories and breaking alerts delivered to your email inbox.
Advertisement will run for seconds. Continue to site »