This was my first visit to Sushi on McKinney in either incarnation. Yes, longtime Dallas sushi fans lamented the loss of SM last year only to see it reopen a short time later a block south of its longtime McKinney Avenue location. I can only imagine they cried for the old girl because of the memories not the food. (It’s kind of how I am about the Charco Broiler in Pleasant Grove. But I digress.) I have no sake-clouded history to draw on. No “remember whens…” Just the platter of sushi placed before me. In a word: average. Not bad. Not great. Just okay. We wanted toro. They didn’t have it. Instead, we stuck to the basics. Tuna, salmon, and yellowtail were all perfectly nice, satisfying my cravings. But the rainbow roll–a combo of tuna, salmon, hamachi, and avocado–was perplexing. The salmon was silky and fresh yet the tuna looked dry and the hamachi tasted a tad fishy. Crab sushi was mealy and somehow salty. Octopus, happily, was super fresh. It had that snap and tension it needs without being chewy. I can’t say I hated the meal, nor was I delighted. SM might have been the place 20+ years ago. But I’ll be dropping my dollars at Yutaka, Zen Sushi, and Oishii first. Sushi on McKinney lovers, sound off in the comments. Let me have it.
9/4/14 ThuThe Wine Poste
9/6/14 SatThe Second Floor
9/24/14 WedThe Libertine Bar
- The 10 Most Eligible Men in Dallas
- The 10 Most Beautiful Women in Dallas 2013 by Raya Ramsey
- How an Office Romance Went Off the Rails and Brought Down the NCPA’s John Goodman by Glenn Hunter
- You Must Go to the Dallas Chocolate Festival by Rochell Van Deurzen
- Jay Jerrier Hates Children, Takes Away Their Fountain at White Rock Cane Rosso by Tim Rogers
- Classical Music Criticism in Dallas: It’s Time for a Makeover by Catherine Womack
- Behind the Scenes of the Dallas 40 Cover Shoot by Jason Heid
- Leading Off (8/28/14) by Zac Crain
- CMS Again Alleges Parkland Safety Lapse Resulted In Patient Harm by Matt Goodman
Sign up to our newsletters to get top news stories and breaking alerts delivered to your email inbox.