There are few things that make me swoon more than an old fashioned chocolate cream pie. It brings back memories of Sunday after-church lunches at Wyatt’s Cafeteria with ladies in hairnets dishing out pre-fab, perfectly round chicken fried steaks, soggy green beans, and, yes, the aforementioned chocolate cream pie with its thick, silky custard and mile-high whipped cream topping. Crumbs Homemade Pies’ kicks it old school just like the beehived beauties of dearly departed Wyatt’s but the Oak Cliff baker’s sweets are infintely better. Crumbs is fairly new—not even a year old—and I got to sample its wares last weekend. I had a hard time deciding which was the best: the coconut cream, banana cream, or chocolate cream. (Yes, I tried all three. Oink, oink.) Find out for yourself. You can reach Crumbs my email (email@example.com) or phone (214-538-2538). All cream pies are only $16 each as is the lemon meringue. The bumble berry is $30. (Full disclore: I forgot to snap a pic when I sampled. The pie pictured left isn’t Crumbs’. I just wanted to make you hungry.)
- Bag It Up: Why the Dallas City Council Should Say No to Banning Plastic Bags by Glenn Hunter
- Home-Rule Effort Still Struggling To Get Message Right by Tim Rogers
- Mike Morath Statement on Support Our Public Schools’ Home Rule Effort by Eric Celeste
- Dallas Pets Alive! Pet of the Month (March 2014) by Jason Heid
- Researchers Develop First-Ever Blood Test to Detect Alzheimer’s by Matt Goodman
Sign up to our newsletters to Get D insider information and updates in your inbox.